Recent Posts

PropellerAds

Monday, June 27, 2016

Living Life Full Speed Ahead

Universalism, utopianism, utilitarianism… With so many "isms”  floating around waiting to blow up our ship, is it safe to go anywhere? How do we navigate through such dangerous waters?
In the heart of the Civil War, Mobile Bay was heavily mined (at the time, tethered naval mines were called “torpedoes”). Admiral Farragut commanded his fleet to charge the bay. When one of his ships was hit, other ships began to retreat from the battle. "Damn the torpedoes!" Farragut shouted. "Four bells. Captain Drayton, go ahead! Jouett, full speed!"
Yes, destructive philosophies are all around us. We have bought into some of those philosophies whether we know it or not. But do we just sit around and do nothing? No. The best thing is to move forward rather than retreat in fear. In my opinion, it is far better to live for the truth than it is to try to hide from the lies. With the Holy Spirit in us, and with the Word of God in front of us, the lies can be exposed before they cause damage. But a life wasted cowering in fear? That's just a wasted life.
God has given us such simple and powerful instruction for living in grace and freedom. In response to the lies, we are to aggressively live for truth!
Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
    with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
    the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has showed you, O man, what is good.
    And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God—
Micah 6:7-8.
Yes, we need to adhere to the MINDsweeper principle by taking every thought captive. Then it's time to just get on with it! Full speed ahead!
Heavenly Father, I thank You again for the truth of Your Word! I thank You for the power of Your Holy Spirit within me. I thank You that I have been crucified with Christ and He now lives in me. I ask that You continue to reveal the lies that lurk beneath the surface of my thoughts. You have shown me what is good and what is required. I submit to the power of Your Holy Spirit in me right now, and I ask that He would live through me the kind of life that You have called me to today. Amen.