Recent Posts

PropellerAds

Monday, June 20, 2016

Why Did Jesus Come?

Image result for jesus baby pictures
1. He came to fulfill prophecy.
     “I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill” (Matthew 5:17).
     “Christ has become a servant . . . to confirm the promises given to the fathers” (Romans 15:8).

2. He came to abolish the law.
     “Christ Jesus . . . is our peace . . . by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances” (Ephesians 2:13-15).
     “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill . . . not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished” (Matthew 5:17-18).

3. He came to seek the lost.
     “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10).

4. He came to save the lost.
     “For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost” (Matthew 18:11).

5. He came to serve.
     “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve” (Mark 10:45).

6. He came to give His life as a ransom.
     “Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28).

7. He came that men might have life more abundant.
     “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly” (John 10:10).

8. He came to reveal the Father.
     “Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him” (Matthew 11:27).
     “Jesus said to him, ‘He who has seen Me has seen the Father’” (John 14:9).

9. He came to do the will of God.
     “Then He added, ‘Look, I have come to do Your will’” (Hebrews 10:9).

10. He came to preach.
     “But He said to them, ‘I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose’” (Luke 4:43).

11. He came to bring fire.
     “I have come to bring fire to the earth” (Luke 12:49).
     “He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire . . . He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire” (Matthew 3:11-12).

12. He came to bring judgment.
     “And Jesus said, ‘For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind’” (John 9:39).
     Note with this verse Luke 12:14, John 3:17, and John 8:15 which says: “I judge no man.”

13. He came to be king.
     “Therefore Pilate said to Him, ‘So You are a king?’ Jesus answered, ‘You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world’” (John 18:37).

14. He came to bear witness to the truth.
     “For this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice” (John 18:37).

15. He came to save sinners.
     “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” (I Timothy 1:15).

16. He came into the world to be a faithful high priest.
     “That He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God” (Hebrews 2:17).

17. He came to put away sin.
     “Now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself” (Hebrews 9:26).
     “You know that He appeared in order to take away sins” (I John 3:5).
     “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29).
     Compare John 1:35, Leviticus 16:20-22, Isaiah 53:6, II Corinthians 5:21.

18. He came to destroy the works of the devil.
     “The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil” (I John 3:8).
     “Only as a human being could He die, and only by dying could He break the power of the Devil, who had the power of death” (Hebrews 2:14).
     “Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.” (John 12:31).
     “For the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me” (John 14:30).

19. He came to send a sword.
     “Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! No, I came to bring a sword. I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. Your enemies will be right in your own household” (Matthew 10:34-36).

20. He came to bear our sins.
     “He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross” (I Peter 2:24).
     “Christ . . . having been offered once to bear the sins of many” (Hebrews 9:28).

21. He came to provide a pattern of holy living for Christians.
     “Since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps” (I Peter 2:21).
     “Learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart” (Matthew 11:29).